Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration - My take.

A day after the Inauguration of our new President of the United States, Commander in Chief, and essentially, the Chief Executive of our nation, and “Change has come” (according to the new and improved White House website, www.whitehouse.gov).

Can you feel it? All the new “hope” and all the “Change you can believe in”, trust me, it’s there.

Beginning his Inaugural address as follows, “My fellow citizens: I stand here today humbled by the task before us, grateful for the trust you have bestowed, mindful of the sacrifices borne by our ancestors…” After many applause and references to our economic crisis and past economies, he say “…each day brings further evidence that the ways we use energy strengthen our adversaries and threaten our planet.” A slight shot at oil and our current dependence, a fair shot, but one question, we have oil here, can we not drill that and use our own resources at home? That can help buy us time to efficiently transfer to the renewable resources of solar, wind, geothermal, and others.

“We will harness the sun and the winds and the soil to fuel our cars and run our factories.” What happened to oil and coal? Not even clean coal—what’s up with that?

“On this day, we come to proclaim an end to the petty grievances and false promises, the recriminations and worn-out dogmas that for far too long have strangled our politics.” A very low blow to the men, past Presidents sitting right there just 10 feet from him, especially President Bush whom he praised at the beginning of his speech, “I thank President Bush for his service to our nation...(APPLAUSE)... as well as the generosity and cooperation he has shown throughout this transition.” I get it, let’s praise the guy that I bashed for 19 months on the campaign trail, and now that I am elected President, I will just get a few more kicks in before he heads back to Texas. The purpose of the Inaugural address is meant to be a slight overview of policies and to uplift the nation, not just your base. I guess some people forget that there were over 50 million people who voted the other way…

“We will restore science to its rightful place…” With that statement, on a side note, today the Executive Order was signed by President Obama to roll back the order signed in 2001 by President George W. Bush that has come to be known as the “Mexico City Policy” or the "Global Gag Rule" involving funding international health facilities that provide abortions. Background: This was an order that originated with President Reagan, maintained with President George H. W. Bush, rescinded by President Clinton, and reissued in 2001, like I said earlier. The order as issued by President Reagan would deny or restrict funding to those facilities that gave abortions, a Pro-Life and Pro-Choice President’s just bounce this one back and forth as different ideologies take over the White House.

“The nation cannot prosper long when it favors only the prosperous.” I want to briefly discuss this hit at President Bush, or well, all Republicans and the fact that it is focusing on the supply-side economics that conservatives are a strong proponent for. It has always been a democratic argument that the Republicans favor the rich. When President Reagan cut the highest tax rate in the 80’s from 70% to 28%, which more than doubled the income-tax revenues… the government got more money, isn’t that the point of taxes in the first place? From my guess, it worked, and is still working today with the tax-cuts that President Bush proposed and passed in 2001 and 2003.

The statement that I most greatly admire and I know played well among the Republican and conservative circles,

“And for those who seek to advance their aims by inducing terror and slaughtering innocents, we say to you now that, "Our spirit is stronger and cannot be broken. You cannot outlast us, and we will defeat you."

I think that explains itself.

My only problem with all that has happened in the last 48 hours, “I got 99 problems and a Bush ain’t one,” great wisdom from Jay-Z and also “I want to thank 2 people. I want to thank the m***** f***** overseas that threw 2 shoes at George Bush…and I want to thank the m***** f***** who helped them move their s*** out the White House” and then Young Jeezy made the statement “…No more white lies, my President is black.”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6A832RUnk6s&feature=player_embedded

Interesting right? I think it is great that Barack Obama was supposed to bring everyone together. I have had many people talk down to me because I criticized a few things that President Obama had said in his speech. I was told “We all need to unite. Whether you wanted him to be president or not, he is. What is the point in being negative?” and that we should all come together to make this country a better place. Where was that attitude when President Bush was in office? Many people have came out and said that they do not appreciate criticism of President Obama but over the last eight years if we said that about President Bush, we would get blasted and degraded or called “narrow minded”. By no means, am I saying that I think the Democrats and liberals should get the same treatment from us because we should give President Obama a chance to govern and we will exercise our first amendment right when he decides to go against our core-ideals.

I am an American, and my President is an American, not looking at his skin color, I care about how he governs. 

And in honor of the anniversary of Roe v. Wade: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CaBR3z85c

No comments:

Post a Comment